Tuesday, January 5, 2010

First hack...EVER.

The kiddo was amazing today. Since I got him, the closest he's gotten to a "hack" was a walk up the driveway and back. So today, at 15 degrees with wind and snow, we decided to take the boys across the street, through a field, and up the driveway to ride in the indoor. This involved trying to mount my huge, goofy giraffe off of a stump next to a road. With his cooler flapping around. Somehow, I trust this horse...maybe a bit too much..but off we go. He pranced a couple of times and was very alert, but if I closed my leg he was like "Oh, all right..." and relaxed. By the time we reached the indoor I had him on a loose rein and he was totally chill. The mirrors in the indoor didn't freak him out at all...we rode for about ten minutes just walking and trotting. He was much more forward than at the old barn and very attentive.

Things to work on:
ME: Leg sometimes gets too far back when I'm really asking him to go forward. Must remember to keep it just behind the girth and be more supportive rather than putting my leg on, taking it off, and then putting it on again. That's just annoying to him. Also shoulders back, and wrists straight.

AIDYN: Definately wants to bulge his shoulder to the right. Counter bending for the five seconds he could do it worked wonders in straightening him out. Will be easier with a dressage whip next time to remind him to keep forward. He started to stretch tracking right, but while drifting a bit left...he seems to have an affinity for the doors of the indoor...must keep him STRAIGHT and conciously always ride him inside leg to outside aids. Transitions were fantastic today.

I love him. What kind of 3 y/o TB can sit in a stall for weeks and then hack across unfamiliar open fields with NO problems? He is incredible. I am SO blessed to have him.

No comments:

Post a Comment