Thursday, January 27, 2011

Why yes, we do still exist!

So basically, blogging is one of those things I'm not too dedicated to...plus I only have one reader, Kateoh, and I can tell her things without having to blog. Nevertheless, she blogged for me, so I must blog for her...plus I had such a blessed day that I feel the need to write it out :)

This winter has been a rough one (albeit not as rough as last winter in Louisville, but then again, we don't have indoor arenas here). Aidyn's work schedule has consisted mostly of as much turnout time as the weather will allow, and as much work in the Pessoa rig as the ring will allow. The before and after in the rig is amazing. He started out tripping and stepping on himself and falling all over the place and now he not only SWINGS behind but he steps confidently into the contact and really lets go in his back. Surprise surprise, this carries over to our undersaddle work as well! I've only ridden him a handful of times this month but each time has been a "wow!" moment...for the first time, I don't have to hold him up...I don't have to gallump his sides with spurs and whip at the same time...I don't have the constant fear of bolting because my dog was in the bushes...it's like he finally grew up and realized where all four of his legs are at the same time. He's so much softer and more forward, although I still have to work on him, especially when he's tired. We have been trying to establish the forward in all three gaits but especially the walk, he's not allowed to stop marching even during breaks. He's just such a laid back guy and would rather chill out then be in a rush...a quality that I have come to appreciate after riding racehorses for so long! And his feet...oh goodness, what a long road that has been, but we are REALLY getting somewhere!! My farrier is a godsend and works his butt off to make sure Aidyn's feet are in tiptop shape...and Aidynlou has really adjusted to his bar shoes with the funky wire pads and Equithane. At first he looked like his feet were attached to blocks of concrete, but slowly he's realized they're not that bad after all. We also have had him on a great supplement for two months (Steadfast, by Arenus) and it has allowed me to take him off all his other supplements...we were worried for a while about hocks, but they seem to be fine now. I have no idea if that bad puncture from last spring did internal damage but he hasn't had problems since we put him on this supplement, so fingers crossed!

Anyways, since he had yesterday off, I just did the Pessoa today and had him trot over a ground pole to remind him to pick up his feet. I will (God willing) ride him tomorrow and practice our homework while C is away :)

I cherish this time when I get to ride all the horses while C is in FL...each of these guys is so, so special and they are such joys to ride. We did trot sets today and each of them was just so quiet and relaxed. They're all special in their own ways...D is so lazy and ho-hum until he spooks, and then I have the best energy underneath me and he really has all the buttons. Then there's A who is still young and sometimes unfocused but everything is so darn easy for him that even when he's not perfect, he still FEELS that way ;) and then my sweet Monkee, my little hack winner who literally gives 110% in everything he does...he is probably my favorite boy in the whole barn and every second on his back is a true priviledge. then finally Guppy who is a close second in the favorites category, I feel like we have finally figured him out and he's just such a blast once you unlock all his gears...and such a handsome boy, too :)

Ok, kateoh, I hope that was satisfactory! I think I'm going to go take the hottest shower I can stand...I'm so unfit and my back is reminding me of that at this moment! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment