Friday, January 28, 2011

Revelations on riding a horse that knows more than I do...

I'm priviledged to ride Monkee while C is away, and since he is trained to PSG in dressage, he is a real treat to ride. We headed out to the field this morning since the ring was a bit crunchy from the temps last night, and I warmed up with a nice big walk on a loose rein. So far, so good.

But wait, a truck hath passed and made a terrible noise. He starts jigging. I reach forward to gather the reins and the jigging worsens. Hey dumb lady, put your leg on. Oh, okay. Problem solved. Now to try trotting. Soften that jaw, Monkee...maybe you'll soften if we do some circles. Hmm...not bending through ribcage. Duh. Your hands are all wiggly and your leg is just sitting there. Crap, you're right. Ok, put leg on, move you over into my outside hand...why aren't you moving over? Because you have no outside rein, moron. Oh, maybe this dressage whip will help! *kick buck kick* MONKEE! *desperately tries to recover reins and said whip* *kick buck kick* Okay, fine, you don't like the whip. I don't like the whip when you use it for no reason and have nothing to back it up with. Let's just try to get a rhythm in this trot and then we'll work on softening. Well if you would post with some rhythm.... Ok, this is better. Good boy! Back to the circle...I know you know how to bend, Monkee... You're right, I do. But I'm not going to do it until you ask properly. I don't speak moron language. Hmm, ok, deep breath, little leg yield right, soften hands and leg on. YES! SOFT LEFT JAW!!! Ho hum, I like trotting this way...

Canter time! Best canter I have ever ridden...quite easy to get lost in it and forget that I'm riding. Here we go...*buck* Crap..oh, my flopping hands have activated the whip which has hit Monkee for no reason. Hands be still! Now sit up...relax...hey, this is pretty fabulous!! Counter-canter...the only reason I'm even staying in the canter right now is because I feel sorry for you, and I like cantering...but next time, you're going to get me breaking to a rushy trot because you forgot to RIDE the counter-canter.

Basically, he humbles the crap out of me, but man...after we walked home and my thighs were crying, all I could think of was how much I love this horse and how much I love riding. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment