Friday, February 19, 2010

We've had a lot of "I'm baaack" moments this winter, only to be further delayed by yet another snowstorm. Or frozen mud. Nevertheless, the last two days we have trudged through about 1' of snow (up to our knees) just to get to the indoor and ride. The snow isn't even the worst part (even though it makes your thighs burrrnnn), but the ice on the driveway (which is about a mile long) is terrible and we have a lot of "alternate paths" that we have to find. By the time we actually get to the indoor, I'm physically exhausted but with Katie's encouragement I've been pressing through. Yesterday was a very encouraging ride...have diagnosed my problem with unsteady contact to the fact that my hands are WAY too high and far out in front of me for a green horse seeking contact. This has been my biggest position flaw for a long time...I have a tendency to lean forward and collapse my shoulders, and my elbows are in front of me and not nearly as elastic as they should be. So yesterday, on a 40 meter circle, we did loads of transitions and I gave myself an outloud "lesson" to remind myself of my flaws...and he brought his back up and streeetched...it was beautiful!

Today was a little bit harder on my part...I worked out last night (more on that in a second) and was really sore and stiff today...so naturally my body reverted back to its old standby, what I will refer to as the "tippy rider"...so naturally I panicked when things weren't going right. Well, I keep working at it and Aidyn was patient and we finally got some great stretchy moments at the end of the ride. :)

Got back to the barn and found that his cracked heels situation has gotten worse...now we have crud all over his ankles and heels. Gross. I curried as much off as possible and covered him in Vasoline (which is also on his blanket rubs...all five hundred of them)...went to the tack store and got a jar of cracked heel creme. Should have done that weeks ago before it got this bad...grrr...poor kid.

So that brings me to the workout plan...aka get fit enough to ride racehorses again in a month. And be better for Aidyn. Anyone who knows my track record knows I have a horrible time keeping up with my workout plans....so feel free to drop any motivational tips you have. Basically, it's looking like this:

Monday: Cardio
Tuesday: Weights
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Cardio and Weights
Friday: Cardio
Saturday: Weights
Sunday: Off

I've started out doing 1.5 miles running on the treadmill and doing 60 reps of 10 lb weights...(30 each arm). Also incorporated reverse crunches today...managed 20...thank you Katie for the idea!

As for Aidyn's "to-do list":
1. Responsiveness to aids. When I ask you for a walk, you don't just kind of shuffle along..you WALK. As forward as I ask you to. When I say halt, you halt. When I ask for a trot, you do it! No slacking off, mister lazy pants!

2. Turning...him likes to bulge his shoulder. ;) Both directions. Must concentrate on not losing the energy in a turn and keeping his body as straight as possible with the outside and leading inside rein.

3. Haunches drift inside both directions...usually on a specific end of the arena. Today it was mainly on the far end of the arena, tracking right. When this happens, ask him to step left into my outside rein, and then go forward.

4. Start incorporating canter work next week (Thursday?).

*Phew*. It's nice to be busy again!
God Bless,
Ry

1 comment:

  1. Yoga! It really helps as an active rest day workout and has brought me great arm, back, and core strength--really essential in riding. You can find free yoga sites all over the web that have good tips for getting started. I highly recommend this woman:

    http://www.youtube.com/user/yogapol

    I don't know about you but I am ready for spring!

    -grace b

    ReplyDelete